If your thinking about renovating you bathroom and you don’t want an embarrassing story to tell, then you need to read this.
Before I share with you the “9 ways to spot a cowboy bathroom renovator”, I want to share with you a story of an elderly veteran that live’s in Tweeds named Charles so you can see what can happen if you choose the wrong person. You can read Charles story here:
Like Charles found out, it can be very hard to tell which bathroom renovators are trustworthy and which aren’t.
Truth is, most of them are nice. There’s a lot of good guys in the industry.
But nice won’t get you the bathroom you’re looking for…
The renovator could seem like the nicest person in the world with great intentions, but when it comes to the actual work, planning and organising, not have a clue in what there doing.
But, there are some tell-tale signs that can help you spot the difference between a cowboy renovator and the real deal.
Be very careful about taking on a bathroom renovator who:
– 1. Offers very cheap quotes or estimates. – This could mean they are desperate for work, or maybe not experienced enough to give accurate figures, or missing key elements out.
– 2. Is unwilling to put a quote or estimate in writing. – This could mean they don’t intend to stick to the price and can always say “your price didn’t include that”.
– 3. Is unwilling to offer references. A top renovator will always have ready and willing people to contact for a reference.
– 4. Is too keen to start the job straight away – Good renovators are usually booked weeks in advance. If he doesn’t have any work on you have to ask yourself why. They can also say they can start right away so they can lock you in, then string your job along with all their other jobs.
– 5. Say’s he can finish the job unusually fast. This is a sure sign they are cutting corners by not allowing proper drying times and installing read-made shower screens.
-6. Is unwilling to offer you details about their business – For example an address or landline number. What are they hiding? Are they afraid your going to come after them once the jobs finished. Remember, it’s real easy to ignor mobile phone calls and change a mobile number.
– 7. Claims to work for a company with a good reputation when they don’t – Check they work for who they say they do. If they don’t, this means they’re dishonest and you’d be better off not using them
– 8. Doesn’t offer you a contract, or doesn’t sign the one you give them. Leaving you wide open to extra charges with no proof of purchase.
– 9. Doesn’t charge GST when they should – if they are a small or new trader, they may not need to register or pay GST. Any decent contractor should be earning well over the GST threshold and should be charging GST. If they are registered, they could be avoiding paying GST to quote your job cheaper and charge less than others. This is dishonest and against the law. If the contractor is found out, chances are their business will be closed down and your warranties/guarantees will be down the drain.
-10. Only accepts cash -If a builder only offers to accept a cash payment, they could be acting dishonestly by saving on paying out for GST. You also have no proof of purchase should anything go wrong.
If your going to renovate your bathroom to a high standard, your going to be paying at least around $12,000, which is a considerable amount of money. You’ve worked too hard for too long for your home, don’t you think it’s worth doing a bit of digging around to get the right people?
If you want a bathroom renovator who:
- Gives fair quotes for quality work…
- Offers the most detailed and itemised quotes in the industry…
- Offers a long list of references including video reviews from past customers…
- Only starts the job when you’re 100% ready and the “i”‘s are dotted and the “t”‘s crossed..
- Guarantees a finish date or you’ll get paid…
- Is completely transparent about their business..
- Has a great, long standing reputation..
- Only works with a comprehensive contract covering all or your rights..
- Always charges GST and follows the law to protect you and your investment…
- Only asks you to pay when you’re 100% happy with every aspect of your new bathroom…
Then give Dream Bathrooms a call on 92407688 or email us via our “Contact us” page to see what we can do for you.